Saturday, October 8, 2016

Reflection Post

After reviewing my blog, I was able to make a connection between two posts and saw a theme of collegiality and trust where I seemed to value the relationships that I make in the workplace. In my post about my experience in an organization, I talked about how the biggest reason why I had a negative experience at the organization I was part of was due to a lack of collegiality. For me, once this mentality of “all for one, all for one” mindset that we have previously talked about in class was gone, the task itself during work was not enough of a motivator for me to continue working. I wanted to trust the people that I worked with, and having to constantly work with new people did not allow me to do that.

Similar to my post about experience in organizations, I mentioned how having a strong sense of collegiality at my high school summer job was a key factor in it being considered a successful organization. Many of us who worked at the bookstore were returning students and have a made an effort to make a relationship in the team. Acts of kindness or trust that coworkers would support you promoted productivity among our team and allowed us to successfully finish our tasks.    

Although I have talked about collegiality and gift giving in one of my posts, trust is something that has not come up in my blog. I am seeing now how trust among members is an important component of any organization. Once there is trust among the worker that someone will be able to successfully execute their task or help you out in times of tough situations, you start to emotionally invest yourself in an organization and feel truly as if you’re a part of something. Even the group projects, I see how Professor Arvan is trying to promote this sense of trust among our group members so that we will ultimately be able to have a well-written paper as a result.  

I would say that my process in writing these blog posts has transformed tremendously. My first couple posts were quite difficult to write because I would try to write these blog posts in one go. This was very inefficient and time consuming because I was blindly trying to make connections when I didn’t have the big picture in mind. Since then, I have taken steps to “prewrite” before writing the actual post. I have a general idea and flow of how I want my writing to look like and this has cut down the time for writing my actual blog posts. It allowed me to organize my ideas and I was able to use my time more efficiently when on the computer.


3 comments:

  1. That your process has changed ford writing the blog is good. One reason for having you do a couple of posts before suggesting alternatives is to have you experience a kind of failing with the writing. It is good and necessary to go through that and as long as you don't persist that way there is nothing to be ashamed about. When you have a better mental picture of what the process that works for you should be like, it should become a more enjoyable activity.

    In your first paragraph you echoed something I said in class - one for all and all for one - and in so doing you are demonstrating an active sense of one aspect of collegiality and trust, which is reciprocation. There are strong demands for reciprocation in any trust relationship. The part that is open ended is how that should occur. Sometimes a mere echoing is sufficient. Other times there needs to be some invention while giving response.

    The habit of making connections across posts should endure. As I've written on another student's post, you might want to deliberately divide you post in parts, with the first part a reflection on what came out last week and the second part addressing the current prompt. Even if you don't connect the parts, this will allow some way for the past work to influence what you are currently doing. And if you do connect the parts, so much the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input!
      I am hoping to continue utilizing this pre-writing step in my future blog posts and writing in general. I will also take note of your suggestion of diving my post in parts as this will definitely help with the flow of my writing.

      Delete
  2. I found it interesting that you made several connections with your high school job throughout the posts these last few weeks. I too made several connections to my previous work experiences in my writing. I have previously worked at Nordstrom and I agree that when you are working in a team, trust and respect for your coworkers is extremely important.

    I am also trying to get better at pre-writing my blogs. Sometimes it is hard with other class work that I have to do, but after re-reading some of my old posts, I have found that the ones done in several sittings are much better than the ones written all at one time.

    ReplyDelete