Saturday, September 10, 2016

Experience in an Organization

During my sophomore year in college, I worked as a facility assistant at Campus Recreation. Campus Recreation manages all the recreational facilities and programs on campus (Activities and Recreation Center, Campus Recreation Center- East, Ice Arena, Complex Fields, Outdoor Center Fields, and Illini Grove) and employees many undergraduate and graduate students within their organization. The organization consists of different departments for each facility and programs that the school offers.

As a facility assistant, I got to work in the facility management department where I swiped the students into the ARC and CRCE, conducted light cleaning on the workout machines, and restocked inventory. During my time at Campus Recreation, I was able to see how structured this organization was and how quickly the dynamic within the department changed with new management.   

When I applied to Campus Recreation, the hiring process was quite long and tedious. Before getting interviewed, I had to fill out an application where I answered several behavioral questions and was required to go through an online training and quiz. It took a couple weeks before my application went through and I was able to schedule an interview. The interview was a lot more formal than I expected in that I was asked additional behavioral and logistical questions by the assistant director of member services, assistant director of facility management, and the facility manager.

Because injuries are quite common in workout facilities, new hires needed to complete a CPR and first aid training as well as attend a lecture on blood borne pathogens to learn how to properly clean up any bodily fluids we many encounter. In addition, human resources required new hires to complete separate training about acceptable behavior within the workplace. Before I could finally start working, I shadowed a facility assistant working the opening shift and ran through a final test of all the procedures within the facility by one of the managers.

My job wasn’t too challenging and got monotonous at times, but the people I met through this job kept me going. I didn’t know everyone at the organization, but I was able to build relationships with coworkers in my shift. There was a sense of collegiality where my coworkers were willing to go out of their way to help me out when I was confused on how to assist a patron or respond to a maintenance request. Through this gift exchange, the work environment was pleasant and there was high productivity in that we were able to help patrons quickly and efficiently.

However, during my last semester at Campus Recreation, a new assistant director of facility management was hired and various changes were being implemented. One of the biggest problems I observed was how little effort went into maintaining the workers within facility management. What I mean by this is that the turnover rate dramatically increased and rather than trying to combat this problem, new employees were constantly being hired.

It was evident that these new employees didn’t go through the same hiring process which resulted in less prepared new hires. The unpreparedness and constant change within the staff made it more difficult for the coworkers to build relationships. This ultimately led to an unproductive cycle where the financial incentive was simply not enough for the new hires to stay and the assistant director had to hire more employees. Many didn’t feel the need to build relationship because no one was sure if they were every going to see each other again. Personally, I went from knowing a handful of people at work to almost none when I decided to leave. Like many employees, I couldn’t stay motivated at a job with simple tasks and an uncomfortable team dynamic.  


Through my time at Campus Recreation, I learned how impactful gift exchange and collegiality can be in a workplace for myself and the productivity of the organization. It taught me the type of worker I wanted to be in the workplace and the type of organizations I wanted to be a part of in the future as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Let me make a general observation first about student jobs on campus. Many students work part time jobs. Even if their parents are paying tuition and give them some stipend, students might still work to have more ready cash and to have a sense of independence. So, in general there will be a high volume of part time work in town. Now to a certain extent, there is a substitution between taking another course (3 credit hours is normally assumed to involved 9 hours total per week, counting the out of class work) and working a part time job. On a pure dollars and cents basis it may be better to not working, take more credits, and graduate earlier as a result. But there is also some balance to be attained by working a job in addition to taking classes. That can cut the other way.

    These issues also vary over the business cycle. A job on campus might be more convenient than one off campus working for a private sector company, but if the latter pays more, that might be preferred. The hiring practices on campus then somehow must adjust to what is happening outside the university.

    With that as backdrop, I wonder if you are aware of anybody else who applied for a job at Campus Rec but didn't get the job. That would be an indicator of excess supply of applicants. Under situations of excess supply, with the wage fixed by university policy rather than by market conditions, there might be the rigorous sought of screening that you described in your piece.

    In contrast, I wonder if before the assistant director came on board if there were any vacancies that remained unfilled for a while. That would indicate the opposite - excess demand for labor.

    What I'm trying to do in my questions is offer possible alternative explanations. You may be right in your analysis of the impact the assistant director had. But there may be other causes. Have you ruled those out or not? That is something to consider.

    ReplyDelete